CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

"Sick" Baby Visit

This morning we went to Women's Bible Study at church. Since I was a little late, I decided to keep Birdie with me during our small group time. Before Christmas, she would normally sleep through the entire time, but today she seemed a little "off." Her eyes were a bit watery and her nose was a bit stuffy. And she was fussy.

When we got home she seemed a bit warm, so I took her temperature for the first time. It was reading around 99 which seemed high to me. Since I haven't taken her temperature when she was well, I wasn't sure if it was. So I decided to put her down for a nap and then check it when she got up. So this is what I did. One thermometer was reading 100.4 and another one went all the way up to 101.7. I know that over 100, was not good and she just didn't look like herself, so I decided to call the doctor's office.

Since they had an appointment available, I took Birdie went to the doctor for her first "sick" baby visit. The doctor asked me a bunch of questions, but the one thing that stood out to me was a comment that he made. When I said to him that Birdie just didn't look like herself and that I could tell something was wrong, he said that studies that have been done have shown that mothers really do know when something is wrong. Isn't this amazing? I think it is wonderful that God has designed us a special way to take care and nurture our children.

The doctor decided that she had a little cold that was moving into her ear. So she got some amoxicilin and needs to take it for 10 days. Hopefully this will take care of the problem. There is nothing like the feeling of helplessness when you have a sick baby. All you can do is hold them and love them which doesn't always feel like enough.

Next Monday is Birdie's 4 month "well" baby visit. This is where they will check her length, weight, and other things normal 4 month olds do. They also give her another round of vaccines. At her two month visit, watching them administer the vaccines and then her reaction to them was heartbreaking. It made me sad that I was "doing" that to her, so Monday won't be any fun either. I also don't look forward to her being cranky all day either. But I am grateful that we have them and how they protect us from serious illnesses. And another good thing is that she won't remember them either!

0 comments: